Two HD controllers (Was: Re: Xenix device drivers under Unix)

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Fri Sep 22 01:11:32 AEST 1989

In article <76 at promark.UUCP> mark at promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>Is there anyone out there that is aware of an AT controller card that has the
>ability to be configured at another address and interrupt?

Yeah, Adaptec 2372s can be jumpered for both.  Most others can be set up for
a secondary address, but NOT interrupt (you get to do a jumper wire for
that).

>Is there anyone running multiple drive controller cards under SCO?
>Are their any reasons why we couldn't run more then 1 drive controller
>under SCO?

It works.  A little bit of a hassle to set up, but it works.

>The WD-1003-WAH is a MFM Controller and was the standard controller shipped
>with the PC/AT. The WD-1006-WAH is a MFM Controller with 1;1 interleaving
>capability and full track buffering.  Roughly, (some of you get the finger
>off the flame button! :-) ) the WD-1006-WAH offers almost a 40% performance
>improvement over the WD-1003-WAH.  The WD-1005-WAH is an ESDI controller.

The WD1006 series gives us a 100% performance increase over the ACB2372 or a
WD1003 series board, not 40%.  The difference is like night and day.  In
fact, on Xenix anyway, it's so close to ESDI performance that it is very
difficult to perceive a difference from a user perspective (it's there, but
only noticable under EXTREMELY heavy loads).  Soon we will hack up one of
our cards to work on a secondary address, then all 4 of our disks will
scream like the two primaries do now.

We love those boards, and SCO Xenix likes 'em too.  (then again we sell the
things, so I guess I'm somewhat biased :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]