tar question ...

Bob McGowen Wyse Technology Training bob at wyse.wyse.com
Thu Sep 7 05:51:16 AEST 1989

In article <6340005 at hpcupt1.HP.COM> stratton at hpcupt1.HP.COM (Jim Stratton) writes:
>cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>The dd error is probably (and i am really guessing since you didn't display
---deleted discussion on dd usage---
>	dd write error: I/O error
>	n+m records in
>	x+y records out
>I've tried many, many different output blocking sizes from 1k up to 1024k;
>all result in the above.  I'm using SCO's tape driver.  tar directly to the
>tape works just fine.  ???

Still not enough info.  What values are reported (n+m and x+y)?  Could you
be exceeding the tape size?  dd will fail at end of tape while tar will
(depending on version) prompt for another volume (ie tape).

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob at wyse.com