tar question ...

Jim Stratton stratton at hpcupt1.HP.COM
Sat Sep 2 01:56:39 AEST 1989

cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>The dd error is probably (and i am really guessing since you didn't display
>the command you used) caused by the fact that the output from compress is not
>in a nice blocked format that your output device (maybee a tape?) wants.

Yes, this is what I'd like to do. Problem is, whenever I try using dd to
my tape I get the same error:
	... | dd of=/dev/rct0 obs=10k
	dd write error: I/O error
	n+m records in
	x+y records out
I've tried many, many different output blocking sizes from 1k up to 1024k;
all result in the above.  I'm using SCO's tape driver.  tar directly to the
tape works just fine.  ???

- Jim Stratton		stratton at hpcupt1.hp.com