Checking for new mail (and kill

iv at hal6000.UUCP iv at hal6000.UUCP
Sat Sep 2 05:02:00 AEST 1989

/* ---------- "Re: Checking for new mail (and kill" ----------
Seth Robertson		seth at ctr.columbia.edu:

Jeff d'Arcy		jdarcy at encore.com
>> This is an approach I'd tried earlier (I used SIGCHLD, actually) and
>> it worked OK, but I wasn't comfortable with the possibility that the
>> parent might try to do something with the signal instead of dropping
>> it.  That's when I thought of comparing initial vs. current PPIDs.
\* End of text from hal6000:comp.unix.xenix ------------------

Actually, "kill(ppid,0)" does NOT send a signal to `ppid'.  It merely
goes through all the checks for errors, and then returns OK / E???? .
It's a great way of checking to see if a process still exists.  We use
such checks in resource locking code (is the owner of the lock still
running?)  No more dead lock-file problems.
----
IV  (aka John Elliott IV)	 Domain: iv at hal6000.Tandy.COM
Tandy Systems Software		   UUCP: ...!texbell!letni!hal6000!iv
900 Two Tandy Center		     or: ...!decvax!microsoft!trsvax!hal6000!iv
Fort Worth, TX 76102		  Phone: 817/390-2701; 9:30am-6:00pm CST, M-F