XENIX 2.2.3 and >1024 h.d. cylinders: possible?

Brian Lawrence Dear whofan at well.UUCP
Sat Sep 16 05:05:09 AEST 1989

Thanks everyone, for all the suggestions and comments concerning our
1024-limit-disk-saga.  Here's the scoop: first of all, we don't care
if DOS is on either the 90meg or 318meg drive.  In fact, the big drive
was formatted completely for XENIX.  Divvy sez there are 308000+ blocks.
Which is right.  But I can't get at more than 198000 of 'em.  So
following numerous suggestions from Western Digital, AST, SCO, and other
folks, I tried firing up DOS from the a: drive and running DEBUG.
When I type g=c800:5 I get nothing.  Everyone tells me I'm supposed to
get a little program that lets me set translate modes etc.  Well, I don't
get such a program; rather I get a hung machine.  Now, AST insists I have
a WD1007-WAH controller chip on its AST ESDI controller.  Isn't this
DEBUG invocation supposed to work?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your continued advice and suggestions.  (Sorry to
have created an international incident!! :-)

-- brian l. dear
   coconut computing, inc.
   7946 ivanhoe ave, suite 303
   la jolla, ca 92037
   619/456-2002
   home of the COCONET(sm) on-line information service