Null modems between Xenix systems.

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Fri Apr 13 04:01:53 AEST 1990

robert at woodt.uucp (Robert Sexton) writes:

>Has anybody successfully connected two xenix systems witha null-modem cable?
>I have had fairly mixed results.  In all cases so far, I seem to get one-way
>communication, depending on which system starts the conversation.  I wish
>to use uucp for local mail and printer sharing, but my cables just don't
>do the trick.  I wish SCO had been a little more verbose about this problem.
>their manuals refer me to the serial port manuals.
>--
>Robert Sexton, Woodtechnique Inc.
>robert at woodt.UUCP ukma!woodt!robert

Unless I'm missing something in what Robert's saying, he wants to use ONE
cable to connect two XENIX systems in a bidirectional UUCP link.  This
cannot be done with getty.  AT&T systems have something called uugetty
that permits this (they sort of handshake and then wait to see who wants
to do what).  There is probably a PD version of uugetty out there somewhere.

The problem with what Robert wants to do is that neither getty knows that
it is supposed to ignore what's coming in from the other side.  So they
are likely to both sit there saying "login:" indefinitely, greatly to the
detriment of the performance of the rest of the processes on both systems!