pseudo ttys from diSCOver and Computone

Michael R. Johnston mikej at lilink.lilink.com
Sat Feb 10 14:50:23 AEST 1990

In article <2265 at promark.UUCP> mark at promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>Here is the problem: I have 2 Computone 8 port Atvantage boards and one
>Intelliport 8 port board.  The problem is that after I do an "mscreen -3",
>the screen clears and the terminal just sits there and blinks.  Only a reboot
>clears it.  This leads me to believe that we have a driver conflict here.
>Computone uses devices ttyi## and ttyx## for screens one and two, ttym##
>if the device requires modem control, and ttyp## for buffered transparent
>printing to the aux port of the tty.  mscreen tries to use devices /dev/ttyp*
>for its pseudo ttys.

Indeed, mscreen DOES use /dev/ttyp* as the devices for the pseudo tty's. The
Computone Intelliports DO NOT. These boards have their own built in drivers
for multiscreen support on serial terminals. You do NOT use mscreen to utilize
these alternate screens under the Computone's (at least on all the Intelliports
I've used). In the ic_install script ("It's recommended") you can configure the
type of terminal support that is allowed on the line. I.E you have available
to you:

"Intellikey"

and

"Intelliscreen".

or both.

You'll want to pick the "Vanilla" terminal support entry. This will give you
the "Intellikey" and "Intelliscreen" support. Read the "/etc/ic_master" file
for more details. I believe that all you have to do is to enable the
alternate computone ports and you're on your way. To goto another screen just
hit SHIFT-F1, SHIFT-F2 etc. Check the manual for specifics. I haven't played
around with it that much but it seems to be a nice feature. We don't have
many terminals around here with memory so it's not as advantageous to us.
Even if we did it wouldn't be much good. Most of our users have a hard time
mastering logging in. 8-(

BTW, I would think that the mscreen terminals would work PROVIDED you have
enable the ttyp* ports that you wish to use. Try:

enable ttyp0

mscreen

SHIFT-F1

That should get you started.
Michael R. Johnston                   mikej at lilink.com
Lilink Communications                 rutgers!lilink!mikej
"Affordable Unix Solutions"           (516) 285-4148