ESIX

Doug Thompson norsk at sequent.UUCP
Fri Feb 2 06:28:50 AEST 1990

In article <1028 at applix.UUCP> jim at applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) writes:
>In article <976 at fiver.UUCP>, palowoda at fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>> From article <442 at sixhub.UUCP>, by davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr):
>> >
>> >   When listing SCO products let's not forget Open Desktop. It includes
>> > UNIX, TCP, NFS, DOSmerge, X-windows and a database program. I think I
>> > forgot something, but it's a good deal at <$1000.
>>
>>    Yeah right, I think you better go check your figures for what packages
>> you mention up there. The whole system is priced around 3600.00. Any one
>> want to talk about how expensive SCO is?
>
>Well, I'll talk about how *inexpensive* SCO Open Desktop is. What Bill said
>in his original article is correct: SCO Open Desktop bundles SCO Unix, SCO
>TCP/IP, SCO NFS, DOS-Merge, SCO X-Sight, and Ingres DB for $995.00 (multi-
>user version higher by a couple hundred $). If someone foolishly wanted to
>by the Open Desktop components separately, you might hit the $3600.00 mark,
>but that's why it's a package *deal*.
>--

I'll take exception to the 'a couple of hundred' if I may. The $995 value is
right I believe for single user, Multi-user is $1500 more (now this gives
multi-user rights for all bundled packages) and if you want development
tools that's another $1500 (again development tools for all bundle packages
if appropriate) and this does bring us upto the $3500+ range. My complete
386-20 system only cost $2400 with 4Mb and 120 Mb disk.

With writing device drivers,etc  I do need the development stuff, and with 6
kids in the house I definitely need mult-user. BTW, I do understand
that one can get some of the packages in an un-bundled upgrade (ie standard
C development system only but not X, NFS, etc)

SCO Unix is definitely aiming towards middle size systems
--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogicse,uunet}!sequent!norsk
Sequent Computer Systems	Phone: (503) 526-5727