ATI VGA boards compatible with SCO Xenix 286 2.3.2?

Tim Kuehn timk at xenitec.on.ca
Sun Feb 4 06:12:19 AEST 1990

article <6879 at sdcc6.ucsd.edu> bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
>In article <6731 at sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu, I write:
> > I'm considering upgrading my AST Premium 286 running Xenix 2.3.2
> > to VGA colour.
...slice!

> > Can any one from SCO comment on whether Xenix will support
> > either ATI board even though they're not on the published list.
>
>As author of the original article, thanks to those who
>responded, including:
>
>	Andrew "Race Turtle" Scherpbier 	Barry Comer
>	Richard L. Goerwitz 			Larry Snyder
>
>None of them had any problems with the ATI boards.
>
>However, all of these people have 386 systems.

Me too. ATI VGA Wonder/512K w/NEC 4D monitor running under 386 Xenix 2.3.2.

>My
>example above is specifically for Xenix *2*86 2.3.2
>and either of the ATI VGA cards.  Is anyone running
>this combination?

Before upgrading to a 386 system and Xenix I had the adapter card and monitor
installed on an ancient 286 (Zenith ZF-281) running the Rev K version of
286 Xenix. When going from DOS to Xenix (I had both partitions on the HD) I
had to make sure the ATI card was setup to look like an EGA screen because
I'd get nonsense characters if I tried to boot xenix w/the adapter in VGA mode.
Since there's a configuration program that you can run under DOS to set the
EEPROM for this, there's not much problem since I'm sure you'll get at *least*
EGA resolution out of your card.

As for the 2.3.2 version of 286 Xenix, I can't say since I've only run it
as a 386 setup, which works just fine.

>Thanks, in advance!

Sure thing.

>Bruce W. Mohler
>Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)
>bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu
>voice: 619/586-2218

|Timothy D. Kuehn	       			       timk at xenitec.on.ca     |
|TDK Consulting Services			       !watmath!xenitec!timk  |
|871 Victoria St. North, Suite 217A					      |
|Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2B 3S4 		       (519)-741-3623 	      |
|DOS/Xenix - SW/HW. uC, uP, DBMS. 		       Quality SW Guaranteed  |