ATI VGA boards compatible with SCO Xenix 286 2.3.2?

Bruce W. Mohler bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu
Tue Feb 6 14:35:49 AEST 1990

In article <6879 at sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu, I write:
 > In article <6731 at sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu, I write:
 >  > I'm considering upgrading my AST Premium 286 running Xenix 2.3.2
 >  > to VGA colour.  Because of price/performance, I'm looking at the
 >  > ATI boards (ATI Prism (USA) or ATI Wonder (Canada)).  However,
 >  > I've already heard one horror story about an ATI Prism board
 >  > in a DTK 286 motherboard that did not work with Xenix (I know
 >  > the guy; he's knowledgeable about PC's so there was some serious
 >  > or deceptive problem).  I'd rather have my ducks lined up before
 >  > I fire off my credit card at some retailer.
 >  >
 >  > blah, blah, blah...
 >  >
 >  > Can any one from SCO comment on whether Xenix will support
 >  > either ATI board even though they're not on the published list.
 >  >
 >  > If I get any e-mail responses, then I'll summarize to this
 >  > group.
 >  >
 >  > Thanks, in advance.
 >  >
 >  > --
 >  > Bruce W. Mohler
 >
 > As author of the original article, thanks to those who
 > responded, including:
 >
 > 	Andrew "Race Turtle" Scherpbier
 > 	Barry Comer
 > 	Richard L. Goerwitz
 > 	Larry Snyder

Thanks in addition to:

	Michael R. Johnston
	Roger Knopf (SCO)
	Tim Kuehn

It seems that the only definitive voice was Roger's who
mentioned a problem with a specific level of the DTK BIOS
(therefore, the horror story was because of a faulty DTK
BIOS rather than with the ATI card).  No one seemed to
have any experience with the 286, Xenix 2.3.2, and one of
the ATI VGA cards...

Where are all of the adventurers?  Its no challenge to
write programs that can run in a 16M memory space...  :-)

I'm sincerely grateful for all of your responses!

--
Bruce W. Mohler
Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)
bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu