Logitech Serial Mouse

John C. Tompkins jct at jct.UUCP
Fri Feb 16 14:46:19 AEST 1990

I bought a Logitech series 9 serial mouse to run on SCO UNIX V and am of
course having trouble getting it to work. :-).

If I run under DOS, there are no problems so I figure the mouse and the
serial port (COM1:) are fine.

Under UNIX, I boot up and the system recognizes the serial port just fine.
I run mkdev mouse, tell it Logitech serial on /dev/tty1a. It runs, re-does
the kernel and I re-boot. I login, run usemouse, and anytime I move the mouse,
I get data, but its the wrong data. It doesn't match /etc/default/usemouse.

I run stty -a < /dev/tty1a from another multiscreen and all, including baud
rate, appears to be what is expected by /usr/lib/event/devices for the type
specified by /usr/lib/events/ttys. Next I check /etc/default/usemouse and all seems fine.

I copy /etc/default/usemouse to my directory, modify it to only use printable
codes, no escape sequences, so I can better see what data is being sent. I
then run usemouse -f newfile. The data changes from what it was but it is
still all wrong. For example, I set all the button up and down sequences to
numbers and the movement sequences to empty and when I move the mouse I get
a bunch of numbers from the button sequences in random patterns. The
direction of mouse movement appears to have no effect on the data. If I
press a button I get nothing.

I can change the h and v sensitivity and that appears to effect the amount
of data in a reasonable manner, lower numbers give me more data. I take this
to mean it is a least working a little!

There are several logitech serial mouse entries in /usr/lib/event/devices and
if I reconfigure everything to try them, I get the same bad results (or
errors when starting usemouse).

I've read through all the manuals and can't figure it out. Any Ideas?

John C. Tompkins
uokmax!occrsh!jct!jct