pseudo ttys from diSCOver and Computone

Mark J. DeFilippis mark at promark.UUCP
Wed Feb 14 15:07:26 AEST 1990

In article <179 at lilink.lilink.com>, mikej at lilink.lilink.com (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
> alternate computone ports and you're on your way. To goto another screen just
> hit SHIFT-F1, SHIFT-F2 etc. Check the manual for specifics. I haven't played
> around with it that much but it seems to be a nice feature. We don't have
> many terminals around here with memory so it's not as advantageous to us.

The case where you have screen memory is when it is adventageous to you.
The devices you are talking about are ttyinn and ttyxnn.  It is supported
on the intelliport and Advantage line.  However the computone boards do
not retain the screen ram onboard, so the terminal must:

1. Retain the image for each screen
2. Retain the attribute ram for each screen
3. Reatin the cursor position for each screen

(Wyse-60's and others have this capibility).  But what I want to do is use
3 or 4 screens.  After further analysis I have noted simply that the major
devices for the /dev/ttypnn pseudo-ttys are different then the major devices
for the computone created devices.  So it is a different device group and
hence a different device driver.  It could not possibly work.

I guess what I have to do is ask Computone to modify their drivers to
support mscreen pseudo-devices as a x-mas wish list request.

--
Mark J. DeFilippis
SA @ Department of Mathematics and Computer Science