Trailblazer Plus & disappointing throughput...

Dave Platt dplatt at coherent.com
Thu Feb 8 04:52:40 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb7.011113.15033 at vicom.com> lmb at vicom.com (Larry Blair) writes:

> DON'T use XON/XOFF with UUCP spoofing!  The UUCP "g" protocol does not
> allow for inband signalling.

Quite so!  My experience is as follows:  if your machine's serial ports
will support the de-facto-standard RTS/CTS hardware flow control, use
it... enable it on your machine, and configure the Telebit modem to
use this form of flow control.

If your machine does not support RTS/CTS flow-control, do NOT use
XON/XOFF flow control during UUCP connections (spoofed or otherwise).
Instead, tell the Telebit to use NO flow control whatsoever!

This is often a very important step.  If you configure the Telebit to use
RTS/CTS flow control, and your host doesn't support it, you'll almost
certainly lose data during non-spoofed UUCP transfers.  If you configure
for XON/XOFF flow control, neither spoofed nor non-spoofed UUCP transfers
will work correctly, as Larry pointed out.  Saying "No flow control, please"
is much safer than requesting a flow-control which either does not work
or is incompatible with the higher-level protocols.

At least, this is my experience with a TrailBlazer Plus.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt at coherent.com
  INTERNET:       coherent!dplatt at ames.arpa,  ... at uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303