XENIX 386 2.3.1 Mouse Support

Jim Hoover hoover at cs.UAlberta.CA
Wed Feb 7 15:42:45 AEST 1990

In article <6475 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bt455s39 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
>Hi, I am trying to install my Logitech Serial Mouse under SCO XENIX 386.
>It is the original three-button model connected to a true-blue IBM serial
>port configured as COM1.  I ran "mkdev mouse", associated the mouse with
>the multiscreens, re-linked the kernel, etc...  but when I run "usemouse"
>I get the following error...
>
>usemouse: can't open slave(errno 13)

This message means that usemouse cannot open the slave side of the pty
that it sticks between you (mouse, keyboard, screen) and the shell
(or other process its talking to).  Check the permissions on /dev/*typ*
(/dev/ptyp0 is the master, /dev/ttyp0 is the slave), they should be rw-rw-rw- .
Also, don't forget about the entries in /usr/lib/event/ttys that say a
mouse (serial in your case) is a legit event source for the tty yo are on.
For example I have entries like
	tty01 msbusmouse
But I am using SCO UNIX V, so the file may not be in the same place.

Another problem with usemouse is that it interacts with mscreen.  The pseudo
ttys that mscreen uses must have gettys attached to them.  Usemouse behaves
interestingly, to say the least, if it attaches to a pty that has a getty
sitting on it.

>And yes, I RTFM!  ...

It is not in the FM!  At least I couldn't find it.  But it sure is in my
note book along with all kinds of other mouse droppings.  As a general rule,
sure evidence that a problem is permission related is that running as a
normal user has the problem, but running as root does not.  That's how I
found the slave problem with usemouse.

	Jim Hoover

Prof. Jim Hoover                   | Office +1 403 492 5401 or 5290
Dept. of Computing Science         | FAX    +1 403 492 1071
University of Alberta              | hoover at cs.ualberta.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H1  |