Getty timeout problem

Richard Goerwitz goer at sophist.uucp
Wed Feb 21 09:56:28 AEST 1990

perry at bluemtn.UUCP (uunet!bluemtn!perry)(Perry Minyard) writes:

>In article <221 at comsys.UUCP> smith at compound.se (Bj|rn Smith) writes:
>>How do I specify the -t (timeout) option for getty in a Xenix system.
>>In a System V Unix it is specified in /etc/inittab but in /etc/ttys
>>I cant see where it fits in !?

>tty(M) makes mention of all the termio(M) flags, and nowhere in termio(M)
>does it mention being able to use a flag like "-t timeout" so it looks like it
>can't be done!...  Unless you could modify init, which only comes compiled,
>or if Xenix used inittab instead of ttys..

>You might want to play around with telinit, but I dont think that will help
>you either.

Telinit under Xenix has a rather limited usefulness with its getty com-
mand.  Its format is rigid, and is pretty much a translation of what you
get in /etc/ttys.  Have you tried installing another getty command?  I
have not actually done so myself, but there are some replacements float-
ing around the source groups.  You have, for instance, agetty2 in comp.
sources.misc vol. 10 and newgetty in comp.sources.unix vol. 15.  At one
point I *tried* installing them.  Newgetty has to be mucked around with a
bit so that duplicate case expressions are removed (Xenix handles cer-
tain input characters differently than most Sys V variations, and de-
fines them as such in one another header file, resulting in duplicate
case constants in a one or another of the switch statements).  I never
got very far, because the Xenix init program does not seem to like a
real System V-looking inittab file.  It might be possible to hack one
or another of these getty replacements to take its command options,
not from init, but from a secondary file somewhere.  Just an idle idea.
Like Perry Minyard said, please let us know if you develop some sort
of workaround.  SCO promises a more full integration of telinit and
enable/disable approaches in a future release of Xenix, so this is not
meant to be a criticism of them.  For now, hack we must.

   -Richard L. Goerwitz              goer%sophist at uchicago.bitnet
   goer at sophist.uchicago.edu         rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer