help on MICROPOLIS 1568 HD

neese at adaptex.UUCP neese at adaptex.UUCP
Fri Feb 2 02:54:00 AEST 1990

>The "xnx133" ESDI driver fix from SCO is ONLY for the Western Digital
>WD1007A ESDI controller card.
>I think the original poster is leaving out part of the picture here,
>because I, along with others that have posted on this subject are using
>the 2322B with great success. I think it's the best solution for SCO 386
>and ESDI drives (I mostly install Priam and Maxtor drives). Every one of
>my installations (about a dozen now) has the read ahead cache enabled as well.

As the 2322B is a WD look alike the xnx133 fix applies.  I know of several
sites who have had troubles and this has corrected them.  We have found in
certain CPU's (I can;t mention whose, as the companies have us under non-
disclosure), the read ahead will have problems under SCO and ISC.  If you
do not have any problems, then you are safe to use it.  As the original
poster was having the types of troubles that are indicated when read ahead
is enabled, I suggested he disable the read ahead and see if that cured
his problems.  After the installation, then install the xnx133 fix and re-
enable the read ahead and it will probably work fine.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese
				uunet!swbatl!texbell!merch!adaptex!neese