Xenix Multi-tape backup

Bill Campbell campbell at Thalatta.COM
Sat Jan 13 03:58:21 AEST 1990

In article <569 at runxtsa.runx.oz.au> dward at runxtsa.runx.oz.au (David Ward) writes:
>I am looking for a multi-tape backup utility to operate on Xenix 286 & 386
>on 2.2.3 and 2.3.2 respectively. We have 40meg, 60meg and 150meg Archive
>tape backup units.

If you RTFM you will find that the Xenix tar command has a couple of
options (k and b) to specify the size and blocking factor of the output
media.  Look in /etc/default/tar for the default sizes of floppy drives,
Bernoulli cartridges...

The general format of the tar command is:
	tar -cbk blocksize sizeinkilobytes filelist

For example to dump the /u directory on a 60 Meg tape with a blocking
of 20 512 character records
	tar -cbk 20 60000 /u

Tar will then ask for any additional tapes necessary (while writing only).
When reloading from these tapes you will need to tar in each tape unless
a large file is split across tape boundaries.
--
....microsoft--\					Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-beaver-----!thebes!camco!bill	6641 East Mercer Way