cc on 2.3.2 Xenix with 2.2 Devel Sys

Mark J. DeFilippis mark at promark.UUCP
Wed Jan 10 13:36:26 AEST 1990

In article <70 at penrij.LS.COM>, soup at penrij.LS.COM (John Campbell) writes:
> In article <533 at runxtsa.runx.oz.au>, dward at runxtsa.runx.oz.au (David Ward) writes:
> > The problem I am having is that programs the used to run before are now
> > getty "Memory fault - core dumped" after being recompiled.
> >
> > Has anybody run across this problem before?
>
> 	Are you using curses?  All too often the stack is not large
> 	enough for the dynamic (stack resident) tables used by curses.
> 	I'm not sure this occurs for the '386 product, but I _have_
> 	had lots of problems with this in 286 code.

Shouldn't occur.  The 80286 compiler version uses a fixed stack size
(I believe it defaults to 2000 hex bytes).  It could be expanded with the
fixhdr -f command, or there is a cc option.  386 compiled executables
have variable size stacks and do not suffer from the limitations that the
286 does.

BTW, on this box I am running SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2, with DS 2.2, and have not
experienced these core dumps.  I run all kinds of stuff from Netnews, smail,
to filepro and Informix, etc...  And if anything is going to core dump it is
going to be an Informix Esql/C program :-)

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
SA @ Department of Mathematics and Computer Science