Manners when asking for information

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sun Jan 14 02:45:55 AEST 1990

In article <10236 at microsoft.UUCP> bruceki at microsoft.UUCP (Bruce KING) writes:

>  I know about asking the collector for a personal copy of the summary;
>some of these collectors DO NOT DO summaries, even when they post a
>statement that they will:  Example (from email)

>  "...I guage the level of interest from the number of requests I get,
>and if I only get one or two, I don't make a summary...  ...forwarding
>the raw data isn't an option for me because I pay for my net time by
>the hour..."

>  It's this kind of thing IN THIS GROUP IN PARTICULAR that I'm getting
>REALLY tired of.  I've sent "Send me summary" requests to FIVE different
>individuals; some of them as long as 45 days ago, and NONE have replied
>with a summary.  ....

Bruce - I too have noticed that, while noticing there is an increase in the
rise in these type requests.  I have am also of the opinion, after reading
many of the "email and I will sumarize" requests, that often the excuse is I
am not a regular reader of this section, etc.   I feel that the "sumarize"
excuse is a way of trying to save face instead of saying "I'm to lazy to RTFM
and why should I bother if I can get the answer here".  Many of these request
are/were uneccesary IF the reader had been a regular user, or are so simple
they could be answered if the person weren't lazy.

On a good question I won't email if I feel if it is of general interest.  If
it is a specific question, even posted generaly, I will email.  And most of
the "please email - I'll sumarzie" requests I just ignore.  There appear to be
an increasing number of readers who think usenet is their manual.

bill
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP