Manners when asking for information

Bruce KING bruceki at microsoft.UUCP
Fri Jan 12 08:44:20 AEST 1990

  I know about asking the collector for a personal copy of the summary;
some of these collectors DO NOT DO summaries, even when they post a
statement that they will:  Example (from email)

  "...I guage the level of interest from the number of requests I get,
and if I only get one or two, I don't make a summary...  ...forwarding
the raw data isn't an option for me because I pay for my net time by
the hour..."

  It's this kind of thing IN THIS GROUP IN PARTICULAR that I'm getting
REALLY tired of.  I've sent "Send me summary" requests to FIVE different
individuals; some of them as long as 45 days ago, and NONE have replied
with a summary.  One guy did summarize what he thought, but included none
of the data that comprised those thoughts.  I don't know if the stuff he
recieved had any part of it, how much stuff he received, or even IF he
received any information.  Ya know, if people did post summaries life'd
be fine.  But my experience has shown that to be very rare.

  If you want examples, I'll dig up the email names from my mail folder;
folks who asked for information, I sent a request (or many requests to,
in the case of the 45 day lag) and who I've never gotten anything back
from.

 bruceki at microsoft or voice at (206) 882-8080