tape drives

Scott O'Connell scotto at crash.cts.com
Tue Jan 16 11:24:03 AEST 1990

In article <7174 at tank.uchicago.edu> goer at sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>In article <5815 at ozdaltx.UUCP> root at ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
>>We're considering adding a tape drive to the system....  I have
>>heard Mountain and Colorado mentioned....
>       ^^^^^^^^
>Xenix 386 2.3.1 could be made to recognize a Mountain TD4000
>type backup unit with a support level supplement; 2.3.2 includes a
>driver.  BUT NOTE WELL:  If you are using a dual floppy system,
>you can't daisy chain the backup unit off the alternate drive
>the way you can under MS-DOS.  Mountain tape backup units are
>nice, easy-to-install units for DOS, but the company isn't in-
>terested in supporting Xenix.  Unless SCO itself has updated
>the driver, you'll have to forget about that "b:" drive.

I think you're misleading people about Mountain in general.  They
make more tape drives than just the standard floppy controlled
drives that DOS users are familiar with.

I have been running two Mountain 7150's for a little over a year
now.  They use the QIC-02 interface and are supported by SCO and
Mountain for use with Xenix.  Matter of fact, it was on Mountain's
sales literature that I found out they were supported by SCO.

I am very happy with my Mountain tape drives.
--
Scott O'Connell		UUCP: {nosc, ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!ipars!scotto
			ARPA: crash!ipars!scotto at nosc.mil
			INET: scotto at ipars.cts.com