tape drives

Lance N. Antrim lance at embassy.UUCP
Sun Jan 14 05:56:40 AEST 1990

>From article <5815 at ozdaltx.UUCP>, by root at ozdaltx.UUCP (root):
> We're considering adding a tape drive to the system.  I'd be
> interested in opinions, good or bad about drives available to run on
> SCO XENIX, 286, Ver 2.2.3.  I have heard Mountain and Colorado
> mentioned in the past - prices are certainly reasonable (less than
> 800.00), but have found that DOS based equipment dosn't always
> work well on this OS - not mention the lack of drivers.
>
> Comments and suggestions are certainly welcome.
> Thanks
> Scotty
> -----
> AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609
>                "Education is the best weapon"
>      {ames,rutgers,texsun,smu}!attctc!ozdaltx!sysop
I have installed a Mountain 4440 40 meg drive in my 80386 system
with Xenix 2.3.2 (AT version).  This setup did not work correctly with
the Mountain supplied xenix driver (which had been developed for an
earlier version of the Xenix system).  I have tried the SCO supplied SLS
for the Mountain 40 meg tape (QIC-40) but I haven't got it working - not
even as close as the old Mountain driver.

I would appreciate any advice.  Mountain told my distributor that SCO
handles the driver for the QIC-40 tapes now, and I believe that SCO
feels that the SLS took care of the problem.  I have tried installing
the SLS twice (even read the instructions both times :-), and gotten the
same result (i.e. on the command "tape status" the cursor transports to
a different dimension and is never heard from again).

Thanks,
Lance

--

Lance Antrim                            Project on Multilateral Negotiation
..!uunet!embassy!lance                  American Academy of Diplomacy