fax for Xenix

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Sun Jan 14 05:38:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan11.182433.6409 at alzabo.uucp> tris at alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) writes:
>amanda at mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>
>>In article <11785 at guru.megatest.UUCP>, bmarathe at megatest.UUCP (Bharat Marathe)
>>writes:
>>>    You first create a  text  file  using  any  editor.  Then  use  our
>>> menu-driven  program to  specify when and where you want it sent. That
>>> is all to it.
>
>>Sounds like every other PC fax modem.  Something that would be nice is a
>>standalone FAX modem that would handle either a text stream or an encoded
>>image, that could be used from anything with a serial port.  Something like:
>
>>	ATDTxxx-xxx-xxxx
>>	CONNECT FAX Gn
>>	<either bitmap or straight ASCII with formfeeds--autodiscrimination
>>	 would be a win>
>>	DISCONNECTED

The EIA is sponsoring various committee's to extend V.29 and facsimile. One
of this is establishing a standard for Asynchronous Facsimile Modems. It
will use an extended AT command set to allow you to communicate with it and
place it in the various modes required to support fax transmission and
reception.

There are three planned service levels. The first simply provides you with a
bare bones modem. You must do all of the work yourself in terms of setting
up the call, exchanging information with the remote fax machine,
transmitting or receiving the data etc. The second level will do the call
setup for you and manage the connection with the remote machine so you do
not have to. The third level may include facilities for doing things like
conversion of ascii text to G3 data on the fly.

If all goes well you should see compliant modems appearing by this summer.
There are several manufacturers who have modems which will just need firmware
changes.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)