cc on 2.3.2 Xenix with 2.2 Devel Sys

John Campbell soup at penrij.LS.COM
Sat Jan 13 13:27:43 AEST 1990

In article <2259 at promark.UUCP>, mark at promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>In article <70 at penrij.LS.COM>, soup at penrij.LS.COM (John Campbell) writes:
>>	Are you using curses?  All too often the stack is not large
>>	enough for the dynamic (stack resident) tables used by curses.
>>	I'm not sure this occurs for the '386 product, but I _have_
>>	had lots of problems with this in 286 code.
>Shouldn't occur.  The 80286 compiler version uses a fixed stack size
>(I believe it defaults to 2000 hex bytes).  It could be expanded with the
>fixhdr -f command, or there is a cc option.  386 compiled executables
>have variable size stacks and do not suffer from the limitations that the
>286 does.

	Actually fixhdr -F xxxx or cc -F ...  Anyway, on the 286 the
	stack _is_ fixed in size and often needs the stack extended past
	3000 (hexadecimal, which is what the -F option expects).

>BTW, on this box I am running SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2, with DS 2.2, and have not
>experienced these core dumps.  I run all kinds of stuff from Netnews, smail,
>to filepro and Informix, etc...  And if anything is going to core dump it is
>going to be an Informix Esql/C program :-)

	My experiences are equivalent.  Everything was working until I
	upgraded the DS to 2.3, then all hell broke loose.  DS 2.2 is
	equivalent to Microsoft C 4.x whilst 2.3 is Microsoft C 5.x.
	I at least knew how to work around the bugs in 2.2.  I also
	found some funny shift stuff that needed attention so I had to
	patch around that with an assembly language routine.  I also
	discovered that in grafting on 386 code generation into the
	C compiler, Microsoft's ability to generate usable 286 code
	got pretty bad.

--	Flame On!

	Using Microsoft and working in the same sentence can get you
	lynched.  Like Intel, Microsoft can't get the first 7 revisions
	(or steps) of a product to work without bugs.  Funny, isn't it,
	that Motorola's chips always work correctly?

--	Flame Off!

	Please forgive the flames.  I spent about 2 years working on the
	internals of Thoroughbred BASIC and had to make it work on both
	286 and 386 boxes.  I consider myself lucky that I didn't pull
	DOS duty...

-------
 John R. Campbell	...!uunet!lgnp1!penrij!soup	  (soup at penrij.LS.COM)
		 "In /dev/null no one can hear you scream"