cc on 2.3.2 Xenix with 2.2 Devel Sys

John Campbell soup at penrij.LS.COM
Thu Jan 4 13:32:59 AEST 1990

In article <533 at runxtsa.runx.oz.au>, dward at runxtsa.runx.oz.au (David Ward) writes:
> I also upgraded the Development system from 2.1 n86 to 2.2 386 (They didn't
> have any 2.3 in stock).

	You're lucky they didn't have it in stock!	:-)

	If you've managed to swing 2.2.3 you have got the version I
	preferred to work with.  2.2.1 isn't too bad, but 2.2.3 _felt_
	better...

> The problem I am having is that programs the used to run before are now
> getty "Memory fault - core dumped" after being recompiled.
>
> Has anybody run across this problem before?

	Are you using curses?  All too often the stack is not large
	enough for the dynamic (stack resident) tables used by curses.
	I'm not sure this occurs for the '386 product, but I _have_
	had lots of problems with this in 286 code.

> Is 2.2 Development System compatible with 2.3.2 O/S?

	Yes, 2.2 _is_ quite compatible with 2.3+.  I initially used it
	when compiling the Thoroughbred BASIC Interpreter.

	BTW, despite problems with the 2.2 development system, I
	_strongly_ recommend _against_ acquiring the 2.3 dev system.
	It's _really_ picky and has more broken features that worked
	in 2.2...  I oughta know...  I was trying to compile Bidness
	BASIC under 2.3 and even when I fixed all of the casts and
	prototypes (you'll need these too!) It _still_ wouldn't work.
	I found some serious macros that went belly up.

--
 John R. Campbell	...!uunet!lgnp1!penrij!soup	  (soup at penrij.LS.COM)
		 "In /dev/null no one can hear you scream"