Manners when asking for information

Paul Martin pmartin at ucqais.uc.edu
Fri Jan 19 02:34:22 AEST 1990

In article <552 at bbxsda.UUCP>, scott at bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) writes:
> In article <438 at bilver.UUCP> bill at bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:
> >                              I have am also of the opinion, after reading
> >many of the "email and I will sumarize" requests, that often the excuse is I
> >am not a regular reader of this section, etc.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Yep.  I could never figure this one out.  Somebody posts a request for
> information in a particular newsgroup that he/she doesn't normally read.
> Then they go on to suggest that they will not continue to read that newsgroup
> for the next week or so to see the answers to their question.  Go figure.

Some people ask for emailed responses because:

  1) They cannot read this newsgroup at their site
  2) They realize that a great meny readers of the net cannot post
     but can send email
  3) They don't want the net cluttered up with a hundred answers to
     what they perceive will be an easy answer
  4) They feel the question will be to specific to be of any use to others
  5) They like the idea of checking for responses just by logging on
     (ie. you have mail) without having to scan through the group

I personally ask for email replies because of sometimes I just have time
to look at my mail but dont have time right now to scan through the
groups to see if I got a response.  Even though later on I will read
through the groups to see if others have posted a followup.
Also I do it for some of the reasons listed above.
And by the way, I do read the groups I post to regularly.