Altos 2086 Questions

Tane' Tachyon tachyon at ucscb.UCSC.EDU
Sun Jul 22 21:56:57 AEST 1990

In article <6774 at ozdaltx.UUCP> rcj at ozdaltx.UUCP ( Dallas) writes:
>I am currently doing some work on an Altos 2086 Xenix box and have
>a few questions regarding it.
>
> [some questions deleted]
>
>   4) Last question (I promise!!): Is there a program available to
>      download soft fonts to HP Laserjets via Xenix?

You're probably looking for some kind of font-manager program, but
just in case it would be useful to you, here's a script I made to
download a font, give it an ID number and make it permanent.

     echo "\033*c999D\c" > /dev/lp0
     # tells LaserJet to use ID 999 for the font
     cp anyfont.hpf /dev/lp0
     # copies font to printer
     echo "\033*c999d5F\c" > /dev/lp0
     # makes font "permanent"

Obviously you would use a different port if your printer wasn't hooked
up to lp0.  Hmm, actually, this was for an SCO XENIX system --probably
your Altos system has different device names for the parallel and
serial ports.