Altos 2086 Questions

Dallas rcj at ozdaltx.UUCP
Sun Jul 22 06:27:17 AEST 1990

I am currently doing some work on an Altos 2086 Xenix box and have
a few questions regarding it.

   1) Is there a way to have virtual consoles in this version of Xenix?
      I have a few terminals which need to switch out of one appliaction
      and into mail fairly often, and saving their documents, exiting
      the word processing package, and going into mail is a time
      consuming endevour.

   2) On the topic of word procesing packages, we are currently using
      Rword, which in my esteamed opinion, needs help.  I contacted
      Altos and they mentioned a product called Uniplex.  Does
      anyone have any insight on this product?  Are there any other
      companies which have ported software to the 2086?  I have
      heard rumors that it is binary compatible with SCO, but don't
      know if this is true.

   3) Are there any good, simple, shell programs out there?  We are
      running a simple shell script for our menus at the moment,
      and before I dive into re-writing these from scratch, I though
      I would ask the net if there were any pre-written ones available.

   4) Last question (I promise!!): Is there a program available to
      download soft fonts to HP Laserjets via Xenix?

                    Thanks,
                        Robert