ftp

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca
Tue Jul 24 17:10:05 AEST 1990

In article <2 at mplex.UUCP> fff at mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>In article <217 at shiloh.UUCP>, dglover at shiloh.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:
>> Can some tell me if Xenix comes with ftp capability and where one might
>> find it if it does?

>Is anyone in netland connected to the Internet via a SLIP link using SCO TCP/IP
>while at the same time running a local ethernet?  Is it reliable?  Are you

Yes we get into the Internet via SLIP. We have in the past also used TCP/IP
with Ethernet at the same time. FTP is reliable. Although we have the
occasional drop. It is reliable enough to successfully ftp multi-megabyte
compress files. Perhaps one in five times it will have to be restarted. I
suspect that the problem is more one of not being able to tune properly for
the slow (compared to Ethernet) SLIP link.

>using a stock version, or have you adb'ed your binaries to make it work?

No. We've adb'ed the binaries to fix bugs and replaced some (especially BIND)
with newer versions (thanks to Andy Poling who made his UnixPC port of
various BSD TCP/IP programs available).

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)