SCO Xenix tar reading SUN tapes

Peter Funk pf at artcom0.artcom.north.de
Mon Jul 2 18:28:57 AEST 1990

root at joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:

mm> I have a number of 60MB tapes which were written on a SUN. (I have
mm> no idea which one).  They were written in tar format.  When I use
mm> tar under Xenix 386, they come up as unreadable.

mm> Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried to inspect the tape using the following command ?
(replace 'less' with your favorite pager)
	hd < /dev/rct0 | less

If pathnames look like 'u/rsg/mase' instead of '/usr/games', you might be
able to successfully read in the tapes with the command :
	dd if=/dev/rct0 conv=swab | tar xvf -
--
Peter Funk \\ ArtCom GmbH, Schwachhauser Heerstr. 78, D-2800 Bremen 1
Work at home: Oldenburger Str.86, D-2875 Ganderkesee 1 /+49 4222 6018 (8am-6pm)
>> PLEASE Don't send BIG mails (oversea) ! I've to pay for it : $0.3/kB
   Don't use the bang path of this news article for mails (They will bounce).
   Only the address 'pf at artcom0.artcom.north.de' will work. Thank You ! <<