SCO Xenix tar reading SUN tapes

Phil Eschallier phil at lgnp1.LS.COM
Tue Jul 3 07:10:16 AEST 1990

In article <87 at joymrmn.UUCP> root at joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:
>I have a number of 60MB tapes which were written on a SUN. (I have
>no idea which one).  They were written in tar format.  When I use
>tar under Xenix 386, they come up as unreadable.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

	this may have been discussed in this group before but here is
	what i have found --

	when transporting files ( xenix <--> sun ) it is necessary
	to use the /dev/rst8 device on the sun side -- this is the
	low density device.  apparently xenix can only handle the
	low desity output on the DC600A (and compatable) cartes.

	some tape guru may have an alternative solution but the only
	thing i can suggest is going back and re-creating the cartes
	with "tar cvf /dev/rst8 filespec" on your sun.

--
Phil Eschallier   * Domain: phil at ls.com           SNAIL: 248B Union Street
                  *   UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!phil         Doylestown, PA  18901