Xenix net or TCP/IP?

Rick Stout rick at crash.cts.com
Mon Jul 2 01:11:43 AEST 1990

In article <670 at sci34hub.UUCP> gary at sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

>??? I've been running a copy of WordPerfect under ISC 1.0.6 for
>at least a year (they list it as their Interactive/Microport
>version). This port should also run under SCO Unix, and the
>Xenix version should as well. I don't see why you're waiting,
>unless it's for a newer rev of SCO Unix.

The spool directory structure and printer configuration files are
completely different under SCO Unix.  If you tried to run the
WordPerfect installation script under SCO Unix it wouldn't be able
to install the 'WordPerfect Print Server'.  The installation script
replaces your /usr/spool/lp/interface/printername files with
WordPerfect 'filters'.  The interface scripts are not in the same
place at all.

I was able to tar on the WordPerfect program and run it (without
printing).  Other than the obvious print problem it seems to work
fine.  Has anyone tried to tweak the print function to work under
SCO Unix?

>>Is SCO Xenix Net the best software to use to network the two?
>>When the one box is upgraded to Unix will it make the networking
>>more complicated?
>
>I'm told that Xenix Net isn't available under SCO Unix, so it's
>probably not the best route to future connectivity. I'm also
>told that Xenix doesn't have NFS, so you'd be blocked there, too.

I think Ive determined what I need is TCP/IP, NFS, and Streams.