Xenix net or TCP/IP?

Tillmann Basien tb at pemstgt.gtc.de
Tue Jul 3 04:49:54 AEST 1990

In article <3303 at crash.cts.com> you write:

>Is SCO Xenix Net the best software to use to network the two?
If you need RFS, as a normal user, YES.
If you only need filetransfer and/or telnet, you do not need SCO XENIX NET.
If you want to share DOS-Drives and  printers on the XENIX Host, YES.
If you want to work with modern RFS, NO. ( Then UNIX and NFS)

With Excelan Workplace oder SCO TCP/IP you can connect the computers, and
you can solve many problems wirh ftp, telnet and r-utilities.
SCO XENIX NET is (very) slow. SCO does not support SCO XENIX NET in the
future. SCO XENIX NET does not work with SCO XSIGHT.

We are working with SCO XENIX NET, and we don`t need every featur

>When the one box is upgraded to Unix will it make the networking
>more complicated?
Yes, because you need another networking programm (NFS oder LAN MANAGER).
SCO XENIX NET does not work on UNIX.

>What are the best ethernet cards to use?  Is thick or thin wire
>better?  Will the hardware be compatible after the upgrade?
We are working on Excelan T205, and they are very good. If you want to work
with SCO XENIX NET, only try to work with T205.
On UNIX we have 3Com 3c503 and they are also very good.

If you use SCO XENIX NET, you can't use the cards (systec oder T205) on
UNIX, because you can't get a LLI for this cards.
We only use thin, and we have 15 connections, and all works well.

If there are more questions, please email
Tillmann

Dipl.Ing. Tillmann Basien			   tb at pemstgt.gtc.de
Programmentwicklung fuer Microcomputer		   unido!gtc!pemstgt!tb	UUCP
Vaihinger Str.49, PostBox 810165		      +49-711-713047	FAX
7000 Stuttgart 80- West Germany                       +49-711-713045	PHONE

Dipl.Ing. Tillmann Basien			   tb at pemstgt.gtc.de