Tape Drive Suggestion? (Summary)

Bill Campbell campbell at Thalatta.COM
Tue Jul 24 09:07:42 AEST 1990

In article <19 at sequim.UUCP> pmb at sequim.UUCP (Peter Black) writes:
:
:
:I sold a friend a system with a Wangtek 5150PK internal 150 meg tape
:drive, SCO Xenix 2.3.2 GT, and now I am sorry.  SCO wrote the drivers
:for Wangtek but they don't work right.  Using sysadmin, you can restore
:file(s) by jumping back and forth between multiscreens and executing
:"tape reset" between operations that access the tape.  I don't think it
:would be possible to boot from a floppy and restore the root file system.
:Backup works fine and tar is reported to work.  Nice tape unit,
:bad software drivers.  SCO says it is a low priority bug fix.
:Isn't too bad we've lost pride in our work.
:
:Peter M. Black, Peter M. Black Real Estate Co., Inc.
:P.O. Box 2227, 315 E. Washington Street, Sequim, WA 98382
:Voice (PDT): (206) 683-1171 or 800-962-7307, FAX: (206) 683-5415
:E-Mail: uunet!sequim!pmb

This is a 'feature' using the Archive drivers also.  In fact -- I
have found that the tape reset doesn't always work when going to
the next tape either!  This isn't too big a deal if you are using
tar to make the tapes and make sure you don't split a file across
multiple tapes.
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way