disk mirroring under SCO UNIX

Barton A. Fisk barton at holston.UUCP
Sat Jun 16 01:06:32 AEST 1990

In article <9993 at gopnbg.gopas.sub.org>, micha at gopnbg.gopas.sub.org (Michael Killermann) writes:
> In article <787 at netmbx.UUCP> jack at netmbx.UUCP (Jack Murawski) writes:
> >I use in my company a NOVELL Network with disk mirorring in file server.
> >It is very comfortable not to must to do the backup of the server
> >every day and to by sure that the data is secure.
> >Is there any disk mirroring software for SCO UNIX 3.2 or for ODT on
> >the market.
>
> I know only a hardware-solution.
>
> You must use the DPT-Harddisk-Controller with the (Hardware)-Caching-Option.

Not if you have a Compaq Systempro. There are several options available
when configuring the hard drive array. One is mirroring, where for example
2 drives in a 4 drive array are allocated for mirroring. Another is data-
guarding, where one drive in a 4 driva array or 2 drives in an 8 drive
array are allocated for Compressed encrypted backup of data on the other
drives in the array. The third is controller duplexing, where a second
controller with its own drive array is installed for a completely fault
tolerent (pretty close) drive subsystem. The standard 4 drive array is
840MB the 8 drive array is double that.

Although I've studied this system, I have not actually used one under
Unix and would welcome any comments or corrections from actual users.

Bart Fisk
--
uucp: holston!barton