Expanding INODEs

Jeff Liebermann jeffl at comix.UUCP
Wed Jun 27 13:48:34 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun25.123329.19800 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <1817 at anomaly.sbs.com> mike at anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
> >article expiration) the machine will run "out of inodes". Currently, as
> >I write, we've got 21,000 inodes left.
There are two places where you can get the "out of inodes" error
message.  One is if the file system runs out of inodes as above.
The other is if the kernel runs out of inodes.  This is where
I've seen it all too often on busy systems that open lots of files.
SCO delivers Xenix 2.3.1-2.3.3 pre-configured for a 1mb of RAM
system (which works amazingly well).  If you have more than 1mb
or RAM, open the manual to "Tuning Kernel Parameters" and increase
the number of file locks, open files, buffers, and inodes to the
recommendations in the manual using /usr/sys/conf/configure utility.

> Suggestions for file systems:
> 	/ (root) very small (just enough for the required stuff)
> 	/usr
> 	/usr/spool (or whereever you put your news)
> 	/users (or whatever you call the partition where your users reside.
Wrong.  If you make a mountable file system called "/usr/spool", then
cron will not start because the file systems are mounted AFTER cron is
started and cron needs /usr/spool/cron/* to run.  See the file
/etc/rc.d/README for details.  I suggest you make the
following file systems:
	/ (root)  leave enought room here for /tmp to handle the
	   largest file that needs to be un-compressed.  Be generous.
	/u    Where the user stuff belongs.  The objective is to
	   make it easy to backup.  Mixing user home directories with
	   the /usr/lib, /usr/sys /usr/ad_nausium is very messy.
	   Also /user1  is too hard to type.
 	/usr/spool/news   Put thy news here.  This filesystem gets
	   lots of inodes.  If you use the pre-compiled b news 2.11
	   from sosco, the you have to put it here.  If you compile
	   your own from source, /news is easier to deal with.

--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave   Ben Lomond  CA  95005
# (408)336-2558 voice  (408)429-0483 digital pager      CIS:73557,2074