Open desktop

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Tue Jun 5 00:48:22 AEST 1990

In article <22 at omen.UUCP> caf at omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) writes:
>:	- Corruption of some critical files if I change the default root
>:	  shell from Bourne to Cshell
>I suggest bin/sh remain Bourne shell, see below.

	This may well be the case, but why should it be so? I've been able
	to redefine the root shell under both SCO Xenix/386 and ISC 2.0.2.

>:	- MMDF II regularly leaves undelivered messages in its spool dir
>You have to have the "deliver" program running:
>   mmdf   244     1  0 02:25:11  ?        0:00 /usr/mmdf/bin/deliver -b -clocal

	This solution will not clean out the spool directory, nor will
	running the foreground counterpart "deliver -w -clocal". Checkque
	still reports no messages in the queue, and cleanque does nothing.

>:	- Bootup problems after power loss when Korn Shell has been
>:	  substituted for /bin/sh (We're still working to narrow this
>:	  problem down)
>Check out the history files.  I keep /bin/sh as /bin/sh, this allows
>boot-up to use Bourne shell, yet I can set the shell in the login to Korn

	History file shows nothing out of the ordinary.

>:	  they don't support [SCO Xenix SDS] under SCO UNIX!)
>I still run the Xenix compiler to compile a certain 286 program.  Possible to
>do with shell scripts and setroot.  Otherwise I use the ODT development
>system, or assorted and sundry DOS compilers as needed.

	I'm attempting to run SCO Xenix SDS (licensed for this system) only
	because I've not been able to obtain the UNIX/ODT Development system.
	I question how SCO can promote binary compatibility between the
	Xenix and UNIX environments when they won't even support one of
	their own packages across such an environment.

Appreciate the input and suggestions.