Open desktop

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Sat Jun 2 02:25:32 AEST 1990

In article <1061 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <706 at n4hgf.uucp> jmd at n4hgf.UUCP (John Dashner WA4CYB) writes:
>
>  The product has been usefully robust. We have just started running a
>reasonable user load, having gotten a working server upgrade, and we
>will be running a number of user on it.

Some people are luckier than others. Among the problems I've encountered:

	- Corruption of some critical files if I change the default root
	  shell from Bourne to Cshell

	- MMDF II regularly leaves undelivered messages in its spool dir

	- ODT-View will leave a server process running if I shut it
	  down using the System menu "Close" option, rather than "Stop
	  Desktop" within the Desktop menu.

	- Bootup problems after power loss when Korn Shell has been
	  substituted for /bin/sh (We're still working to narrow this
	  problem down)

	- Custom will not load Xenix/386 Software Dvlpmt (and SCO says
	  they don't support it under SCO UNIX!)

Not saying ODT is NG, but we'll be looking at alternatives before we
settle on a standard implementation for UN*X/386.