Text formatting utility (MAN pages) for XENIX.

Greg Wettstein NU013809 at NDSUVM1.BITNET
Sun Jun 3 00:43:35 AEST 1990

I have XENIX 2.3.3 with the development system but no text processing.  I have
loaded and setup TeX under XENIX and that along with a collection of previewers
and DVI drivers handles my text processing needs.

The problems comes in handling UNIX(c) pages that are formatted using (I think)
nroff coding conventions.  I have ported a bunch of useful UNIX utilities to
the XENIX environment and have a whole collection of document files suffixed
with a .8.  A person can read through these and garner useful information but
it is not an optimum method for viewing documention.

This issue came into somewhat harsh light in the last week when I brought
up SMAIL 2.5 along with the pathalias code.  It was somewhat challenging to
filter the useful information in all the .8 documentation files from the the
formatting commands.

What does everyone else using XENIX use for these?  The whole end of my disk
is loaded with XENIX documentation but I have probably missed the command that
is available for deciphering these.  If I have not what is available out there
to do the formatting?  I have FTP and UUCP access so I can grab things from
pretty much anywhere.  I follow the group aggressively so comments either here
or by e-mail would work.  I would like to offer thanks in advance for any
information which may be forthcoming.

                                      As always,
                                      Dr. G.W. Wettstein
                                      NU013809 at VM1.NoDak.EDU

'The truest mark of a man's wisdom is his ability to listen to other men
 expound their wisdom.'