SCO Xenix tar reading SUN tapes

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Fri Jun 29 21:12:56 AEST 1990

root at joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:

>I have a number of 60MB tapes which were written on a SUN. (I have
>no idea which one).  They were written in tar format.  When I use
>tar under Xenix 386, they come up as unreadable.

The bytes might be swapped.  Try reading one tape into the system using dd,
using the "conv=swab" option, then look at the resulting file.

or

you could use the following command:

dd if=/dev/rct0 conv=swab | tar tvf -

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.