SCO stopping enhancements for Xenix?

Terry Hull terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Tue Mar 6 08:15:08 AEST 1990

corwin at polari.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:

>In article <6734 at cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet at cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>> If you bought SCO Xenix just 4 months ago and you're already thinking of
>> upgrading to SCO UNIX, it's your own fault for not thinking ahead back
>> then and simply buying SCO UNIX. It was shipping then.....
>	Firts of all it was far from stable, and second of all he does not
>	need to be thinking of upgradind NOW, just upgrading some time in
>	the future when it makes since to.
>>
>> Yes, it sucks that SCO is moving in a direction of orphaning home
>> hackers, but that isn't where the money is for them.

>	If they beleive this, then they are pretty stupid.  You ever
>	hear of products such as cpm and ms-dos?

I disagree strongly here.  First, I'm not sure that the majority (or
even a significant fraction) of MS-DOS licenses are sold to home
hackers.  Secondly, SCO UNIX is MUCH more complicated than DOS, and is
CERTAINLY not targeted at the home market.  Microport was the hacker's
inexpensive UNIX, and we all know what happened to them.  If SCO UNIX
was targeted at the home market, things like Open Desktop, Xsight,
TCP/IP and NFS would never be available.  Products like these make
sense in a business/educational/governmental environment, not the home
marketplace.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University