SCO stopping enhancements for Xenix?

Frank I. Reiter frank at rsoft.bc.ca
Tue Mar 6 03:51:44 AEST 1990

In article <1731 at lakesys.lakesys.com> davef at lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) writes:
>Intel is now pushing their own version of Unix for the 386 environment, and
>from what I hear may be the first company out with SVR4 for the 386.
>
>I think it is also interesting to note that while SCO's prices are going up,
>AT&T's licensing fees are going down.

The big question of course is the magnitude of Intel's commitment to it's unix
product.  We've learned by experience that going with a big name doesn't
guarantee quality or longevity - we started yearsa ago with IBM Xenix 1.? and
eventually had to move on to SCO because of the bugs in IBM's product. Despite
having a big name behind it IBM Xeniox never was much of a success.

What about Intel Unix?  Is it on the market?  How much does it cost?  Where
can an interested individual find out more about it?

If SCO doesn't soon recognize and respond to it's responsibility to support
those people that have been supporting them for years then RSI and its future
customers will be computing on another vendor's Unix.