SCO stopping enhancements for Xenix?

Philip Peake philip at vogon.cetia.fr
Tue Mar 6 22:38:49 AEST 1990

In article <1731 at lakesys.lakesys.com> davef at lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) writes:
>I have yet to hear (see) anyone talk about the newest kid on the block....Intel.
>I think it is also interesting to note that while SCO's prices are going up,
>AT&T's licensing fees are going down.

True, but you havn't said why ...

XENIX was (is) sold under the V7 licence conditions, since it is utlimately
based upon V7, with evolution (more or less) tracking that of 'official'
AT&T versions.

Now, SCO UNIX is based upon SVR3 and has to be sold under the SVR3
licence conditions, and, guess what, those licence conditions (and prices) have
changed somewhat since V7 days !

Using the magic word UNIX is the description of the article also
requires SVR3 licencing (plus a few other things such as SVVS compliance ...).

This is not excusing SCO for increasing prices, just giving a good
reason why its happening.

Philip