SCO Xenix...

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Mon Mar 5 07:16:01 AEST 1990

Hmm, maybe SCO will make a special upgrade policy to SCO Xenix 386 users
allowing you to upgrade to SCO Unix for a nominal fee once this "we're
abandoning it" policy takes effect.  If SCO is smart (which I doubt), maybe
they will.  Obviously, Xenix 286 users will be out in the cold since there's
no SCO Unix 286 out there (that I've seen).  Of course, for those of us who
are use to being abandoned by software companies are probably sighing with
that "here we go again" tone again.  What ticks me off is that I'm about to
buy SCO Xenix 386 and a 386(SX) machine just for running Xenix until I get
a full blown 386 machine.  I can understand SCO wanting their Unix to
catch on, but get a clue guys, we don't want to get our bank accounts bled dry
in the process nor get gutted completely with respect to support.  Are you
listening SCO?  Maybe SCO will have a fire sale on Xenix for those of us that
don't want to buy their Unix product yet.  Regardless of what does happen, I
will be buying SCO Xenix 386 over SCO Unix 386 when my 386(SX) machine is
here even if it means buying a used master set from somebody who doesn't
want to deal with this policy that SCO is imposing.  Maybe they don't want to
yell at SCO when something doesn't work, but I can (and sometimes enjoy doing
it) and some people swear that I'm possessed by Sam Kinison when I'm dealing
with a real assinine company.  Could it be that I'm good at yelling?

Nah...  ;)

Fortunately the companies who I've dealt with over support for customers and
even end user are nice for the most part.  Even Novell is nice to me and they
have yet to see me yell to the point where I make the windows shake, but it
seems like SCO might, especially if I'm an end user of their product.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | My opinions are exactly that,
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | mine.  Bill Gates couldn't buy
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | it, but he could rent it.  :)
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca