any one use the exclan(sp)

Daniel Wynalda danielw at wyn386.mi.org
Tue Mar 20 00:43:34 AEST 1990

In article <376 at mplex.UUCP> fff at mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>In article <248 at pride386.UUCP>, terry at pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) writes:
>> is ANYONE using the exclan(sp) setup that sco pushes as xenix net?
>> would like to create a distributed file system (with 2+ computers)
>
>We use Xenix Net with Excelan hardware between a 286 and a 386.  It works as
>advertised, but doesn't break LAN performance records.  We find it a bit shaky
>when one machine shuts down but that could easily be fixed in the latest
>release.  I would suggest you look into NFS though, if I understand correctly
>it's much more versatile.

We use Xenix-net with Excelan hardware between two 386 boxes running Xenix
and 1 DOS 286.  The file transfer speeds seem to be about the speed
of a floppy drive.  The previous comment mentions looking at NFS.  There
are probably advantages to both schemas.  One thing that I find useful
with Xenix-Net that you don't get with NFS is access to remote devices.

Because the ENTIRE FILESYSTEM of the remote computer is on your system,
you can access all of the devices etc as well.   For example, I use
a modem on one machine from a terminal program on the other machine.
It works very well.  It is, as mentioned, usable but not a screamer.
I would recommend it though.  All of the excelan utilities work well
as well (ftp, telnet, rlogin, rsh, rpr etc)

			Daniel Wynalda

--
Daniel Wynalda 	     | Telephone: (616) 866-1561 X22	 Ham: N8KUD
Wynalda Litho Inc.   | danielw at wyn386.UUCP danielw at wyn386.mi.org
8221 Graphic Ind Pk. | I believe everyone should be responsible for their own
Rockford, MI  49341  | actions.  Thus I don't speak for this org. herein.