Sources for compatable crypt for XENIX

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Mar 13 08:10:59 AEST 1990

In article <758 at cluster.cs.su.oz> jaa at cluster.cs.su.oz (James Ashton) writes:
>	This program is not available on software shipped outside the U.S.
>This is because of government stupidity in the states - either it's illegal
>or too bureaucratically nightmarish to export this stuff - technology
>transfer & etc.

Dennis once gave me a summary of the actual story behind this restriction.
It seems that the Commerce Dept. was willing to allow export, but EACH
system shipped would require its own authorization, i.e. no blanket
permission.  Naturally AT&T decided this would be impractical, so they
simply omitted the software in question from international shipments.