Sources for compatable crypt for XENIX

James Ashton jaa at cs.su.oz
Mon Mar 12 16:22:36 AEST 1990

In article <26323 at qfagus.OZ> arthur at qfagus.OZ (Arthur Raiskio) writes:
>I am after  a crypt function that produces an encryption code that is compatable
>with the encryptions produced by the standard XENIX facilities such as passwd
>and used by programs such as su and login. I an not trying to hack the crypt
>process I am just trying to write a front end processor and it would be nice if
>I could get away with using just 1 password file (/etc/passwd) as it would
>make life just so much easier. I do not understand why the crypt facility was
>not included as a library function in XENIX. With thanks in advance for any
>possible assistance.

At the bottom of the SysV manual entry for crypt it says:

	This program is not available on software shipped outside
	the U.S.

This is because of government stupidity in the states - either it's illegal
or too bureaucratically nightmarish to export this stuff - technology
transfer & etc.  That's just the way it is.  I think this means you loose.

						James Ashton.