AC Power Protection

neal at mnopltd.UUCP neal at mnopltd.UUCP
Sun Mar 18 07:41:05 AEST 1990

I couldn't find any other more or less appropriate group for this query....

Thunderstorm season is nearing, and I have promised myself that I will not
spend another spring unplugging my Xenix 386 machine and hiding under the
desk every other afternoon when the thunderstorms happen.  I have a surge
protector on the cpu and modems...

So, I can put one of those 500 watt 15 minute standby UPS systems on my
processor.  This should ride out a sag or a short drop out.   I can even put
my surge protector in front of the UPS.   BUT I figure a nearby strike can
still take out the surge protector, the UPS, and my cpu.

Should I put a ferro-resonant transformer in front of the whole mess?  What
are general experiences on this?   My goal is to be able to keep working and
ride out a blackout of up to ten minutes.

Post or mail answers, yer choice.  I WILL (really really) summarize mail.
Except for lame comments from wimps in parts of the country that don't get
any *REAL* lighting strikes....