AC Power Protection

Jenn-Ming Yang pricked at vax1.acs.udel.EDU
Sun Mar 18 15:07:06 AEST 1990

In article <169 at mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:
}Thunderstorm season is nearing, and I have promised myself that I will not
}spend another spring unplugging my Xenix 386 machine and hiding under the
}desk every other afternoon when the thunderstorms happen.  I have a surge
}protector on the cpu and modems...
}
}So, I can put one of those 500 watt 15 minute standby UPS systems on my
}processor.  This should ride out a sag or a short drop out.   I can even put
}my surge protector in front of the UPS.   BUT I figure a nearby strike can
}still take out the surge protector, the UPS, and my cpu.
}
}Should I put a ferro-resonant transformer in front of the whole mess?  What
}are general experiences on this?   My goal is to be able to keep working and
}ride out a blackout of up to ten minutes.

You might(better!) want to protect against brownouts also.

--
pricked at vax1.acs.udel.edu (or pricked at 192.5.57.1, pricked at 192.5.57.129)