AC Power Protection

Ken Abrams kabra437 at pallas.athenanet.com
Mon Mar 19 04:39:23 AEST 1990

In article <169 at mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:

>So, I can put one of those 500 watt 15 minute standby UPS systems on my
>processor.  This should ride out a sag or a short drop out.   I can even put
>my surge protector in front of the UPS.   BUT I figure a nearby strike can
>still take out the surge protector, the UPS, and my cpu.

A battery powered UPS is probably the best you can do.  All the rest is
probably overkill (except a surge protector ahead of the UPS might save
the UPS from damage on a minor hit).

If you think you can save yourself from a direct lightning strike that
occurs within a couple of hundred yards of your location, you are fooling
yourself.  NOTHING will prevent damage in that case except having the
system disconnected from ALL external wiring (grounds included).
Lightening is nasty stuff and doesn't follow any rules.

If you MUST keep working during a nasty lightening storm, have a good backup
and insurance (on both the system and your BODY).

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437 at athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965